Today’s Top Stories
- Outsider Macron sets sights on presidency (BBC News - Home)
- French Presidential Runoff Heralds New Political Era (WSJ.com: World News)
- North Korean university names detained US citizen (BBC News - Home)
- Market Extra: Wall Street set to react as Macron, Le Pen to face off for French presidency (MarketWatch.com - Top Stories)
- Saudi Arabia Reinstates Perks for State Employees as Finances Improve (WSJ.com: World News)
- The Margin: Elon Musk unveils a date-night photo in rare glimpse into his personal life (MarketWatch.com - Top Stories)
- Euro surges on prospect of Macron thwarting Le Pen (US homepage)
- Euro surges on prospect of Macron thwarting Le Pen (Europe homepage)
- Euro surges on prospect of Macron thwarting Le Pen (UK Homepage)
- China’s fight with Visa and MasterCard goes global (UK Homepage)
- China’s fight with Visa and MasterCard goes global (US homepage)
Other Blog Headlines
Monthly Archives: March 2011
Cisco is often held up in Business School classrooms as an example of a company that has been able to successfully lever alliances and acquisitions for growth. Although I do often discuss Cisco in the classroom, that distinction has never quite sat well with me. At some point, incessant dealmaking spreads a firm’s resources thin (for background, see Is Cisco Becoming Too Big?).
The Economist picked up on this theme in a recent article (see Is Cisco Spreading Itself Thin?). According to The Economist:
Entering greater than 30 new markets?? Wow!
As I mentioned in my previous post (see Is Cisco Becoming Too Big?):
I fear that this is precisely what is happening to Cisco.
However, as The Economist notes, John Chambers (Cisco’s CEO) seems to be aware of the issue.
Let’s hope that this represents a first step toward reevaluating their corporate strategy, …and righting the ship.
More on this topic (What's this?)
Company Update: Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ:CSCO) – Cisco Makes Another Strategic Acquisition (Jutia Group, 7/10/15)
Stock Update: Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ:CSCO) – One Reason Cisco (CSCO) Stock is Advancing (Jutia Group, 7/7/15)
Cisco Buys OpenDNS (Telecom Ramblings, 6/30/15)